Thanksgiving leftovers. Turkey Pot Pie

Saturday, November 26, 2011

On Thursday, I cooked my second Thanksgiving meal. Between my mother (honey glazed ham, cheesecake and butter rolls), my father-in-law (Brussels sprouts and bringing the freshest tastiest oysters ever), my husband (cooking said oysters. half plain and in their natural juices, half topped with a spicy mayo misture broiled to perfection) and I (Good Eats turkey, Ina Garten's homemade gravy, crispy smashed potatoes, kale and sausage stuffing, buttermilk mashed potatoes, roasted carrots and butternut squash, roasted artichokes with lemon aioli) we had cooked a feast to last all of our families for days.

That being said, two days later I am sick of eating these leftovers.

Time for a Thanksgiving leftover recipe tweak!

The inspiration for my recipe is from the original Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Real Simple. You can click here to find it. On a day where leftover turkey isn't taking up fridge space, it's a great way to use store bought rotisserie chicken. In fact, the only reason I buy that tired old chicken is so that I can use it for other recipes.

Here's my version of Turkey Pot Pie. It's not the healthiest what with all the gravy and pie crust but...

Ingredients

4 cups                 diced cooked turkey
3 cups                 gravy
1/4-1/2 cup          chicken stock-to thin out probably too thick cold gravy
2 tbsp                  butter
1 large                 onion, diced
4 medium            carrots, diced
10 oz                   frozen peas
1 tbsp                  fresh thyme, chopped
2 rolls                  store-bought pie crust

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Melt butter in a large pan and cook onions, carrots and thyme until onions are translucent and carrots are tender.
  3. Add peas, turkey and gravy. Stir to combine and heat turkey through. Add chicken stock if gravy is too thick; it should be a loose mixture.
  4. Pour mixture into a 9"x13" dish that has been buttered on the top half. Unroll the pie crusts and layer over mixture, forming a seal and crimp edge around sides. Use any left over dough to try and create a beautiful design. (See my terrible one below). Make a few slits accross the top and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
This is what it looked like in the baking dish. I just poured a little more chicken stock right on top hoping that the bubbling would evenly distribute the liquid. It did!

This is my very sad attempt at making a pretty crust. I had literally 10 minutes to whip it all together. Which meant the pie crust was still a bit frozen and I didn't have time to roll it out and make it smooth and pretty. Okayyy okay. I wouldn't have rolled it out to make it pretty if I did have time. If it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't have attempted the leaves either. It would've been oddly shaped clumps like that one on the left. :)

1 comments:

Pua said...

Looks fantastic Hoku. I'll have to give it a try!

Post a Comment

HI Recipe Tweaker Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino